This is a story about Allie, our ever mischievious, just turned 6, started the first grade, bouncy, lovey, girl. Allie loves to play outside. She loves nature. All of nature, animals, plants, bugs, the weather, all of it. She is usually the last one to come inside because she likes to be out so much. Well, the other day she found a big fuzzy caterpillar. She was instantly taken by this little creature and started building him his own mansion in an old shoe box. He had everything a caterpillar could dream of. He had a bed made out of an apple off the apple tree, leaves carpeting the floor, beatiful rock furniture and painted walls. She even made sure he had a pet, a little fly. How lucky could one caterpillar get?
I thought it was cute but did not want Talon to keep getting into the box or this caterpillar crawling all over the furniture, so I repeatedly asked Allie to take it outside. She could play with it just as well and he would be happier outside. After the umpteenth time telling her it needed to go back out, I let it go, you know the whole choose your battles. I was in the kitchen finishing up the dishes when I heard this horrible scream. I ran in knowing something had to be terribly wrong. Allie was bawling and screaming. Somehow the caterpillar had slipped out of her hand and in the mix up she accidentally stepped on it. There it was squished flat on the floor. She was so heartbroken. "Mom, I really, really liked him!" I gave her a hug and told her I was sorry. I felt really bad for her but I probably wasn't as sympathetic as I could have been since I had been asking her all day to keep the little guy outside. So, I also took the time to explain to her that she hadn't obeyed. I had asked her to take him out and if she would have listened this probably wouldn't have happened. She continued to cry for about an hour. I hope in the end, this hard lesson sank in a little and maybe next time she will remember and obey. There's always hoping.





3 comments:
cute story, at least she was the one who stepped on it and not her little bother.
Poor Allie, she must have felt awful.
Cute story and once again some amazing birthday cakes.
Post a Comment